Saturday, April 19, 2008

Overwhelming

The past few weeks have been insane, even by the already crazy standards of last year. Now I'm juggling my normal teaching load(tutorials and lectures), coordinating H1 chemistry, somewhat coordinating H2 chemistry, checking SPA for term 3, doing the chemistry olympiad programme, on the staff OCIP team doing fund raising, choir stuff (thankfully, nothing much to do here), and leading the reports team for the science fair.

I'm actually tempted to beg off and let somebody else do the brunt of the non-academic related stuff, since I'm leaving soon for my Masters anyway. I don't need the performance bonus. But if I'm honest about it, there's probably only one or two teachers who can take up the slack.

With three of us leaving the J1 chemistry team, one in a few days, another in June, and myself at the end of July, and with probably only one new addition from NIE, it's all in God's hands.

My HOD told me last year that my subject head was sorely disappointed when she heard that I might be leaving, because she would be losing a valuable teacher(her words, not mine). After the A level results, I see her point. My classes performed above expectations.

My niggling sense of obligation to the other about-to-die chemistry teachers is probably the only reason I'm strongly considering going back to teach part-time, if my MPP timetable allows. My HOD indicated that he would be more than happy to have me back, even to permanent 'relief-teach'(because he knows I can deliver a chemistry lesson anytime, anywhere) for a class or two, because that'll lessen the load on the full-time teachers.

In any case, good luck finding people to replace me in all those duties mentioned above!

BTW, the MPP class would consist of only about 60 students. Of which only 6-8 are Singaporeans. Also heard from various sources that there are almost a thousand local applicants for the course every year.

At this point in time, I need every ego-boost I can get.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home